Install AMD Pro Video on Debian/LMDE [Updated]

Michael

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 11, 2022
Sparky and I figured out how to do this. Tested with render engines on Debian. If it does not show the correct card in Neofetch, use command below.
AMD PRO W7700 card tested some crazy 20,000 FPS.

Before you begin, TimeShift. You will need this if something is installed out of order.
Update and Upgrade! - make sure there are no errors.

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Install:

In your browser, type:
Code:
https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu/6.0.2/ubuntu/pool/main/a/amdgpu-dkms/amdgpu-dkms-firmware_6.3.6.60002-1718217.22.04_all.deb
Download the 22.04 Firmware drivers, install this first

Download and install this second:
Code:
https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu/6.0.2/ubuntu/pool/main/a/amdgpu-dkms/amdgpu-dkms_6.3.6.60002-1718217.22.04_all.deb

In your browser, type:
Code:
https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu/6.0.2/ubuntu/pool/main/a/amdgpu-core/
Download the 22.04 Core drivers and install/

Go to your download directory
Code:
cd Downloads/

Install it**
Code:
sudo apt install ./install-amdgpu-install_XXXXX_all.deb

Run:
Code:
sudo amdgpu-install --usecase=workstation --vulkan=pro

Code:
sudo reboot

Notes:
Make sure you install the firmware first. Then install the core drivers. And then amdgpu-install.
Make sure your time zone is set correctly.

**If you are installing non-pro drivers, use this install:
Code:
sudo install-amdgpu

Last edited:
Reactions: DigitalSparky

Michael

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 11, 2022
If your gpu is displayed incorrectly try running:

Code:
sudo update-pciids

Michael

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 11, 2022
This post was created after being called out by a Linux Mint Forum Admin asking me to prove where I tested the tutorial on LMDE.

I can confirm that LMDE6 with the upgraded Debian testing kernel 6.6.13 does not have the AMD PRO RADEON drivers and will not work on multiple monitors and include rendering. However, LMDE kernel 6.1.0-18 does work, with the drivers installed, multiple monitors rendering. Screens show correct posting of the Pro Radeon card.

LMDE6.1working.pngLMDE6.6.13.notworking.pngScreenshot from 2024-03-16 05-03-01.png

Actually, the LMDE user SMG was referring to did already had LMDE6 running on his computer with an older video card. He did not need a newer kernel and as I said before, should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. He ended up installing Linux Mint Edge which uses Ubuntu kernels, naturally supported by AMD.

Last edited:

Michael

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 11, 2022
Here is the regular Mainline Linux Mint installed without edge kernels. I did not load the above PRO drivers, they are already included with Ubuntu kernels 6.2 and above (please see UNINGINE 2). These kernels are not newer than Debian's, they just offer support from AMD which is not included with Debian's kernels.

If you wish your newer gpu's to run, multiple monitors with rendering, you will need either Mainline 6.2 or higher. Or for LMDE/Debian, you will require the driver tutorial above. Even Debian sid kernel 6.7.7 does not offer support.

One other thing to note: Xanmod and Liquorix kernels are built within hours of the Debian release kernels. Neither of these offer the same AMD gpu support that Ubuntu has. You must load drivers onto them.

Attachments

• LM6.2Benchmark.png
    LM6.2Benchmark.png
    916.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Michael

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 11, 2022
Also, one other thing to note is that the Debian stable kernel 6.1 offers Intel cpu support through 13th gen. If you have a 14th gen Intel or higher, you will need a kernel 6.3 or higher.